Wednesday 25 December 2013

Merry Christmas!!



To believe in making wishes and have faith that they can come true
To believe that you can find some joy in everything you do

To believe in giving gladly for no reason, just because to believe in LOVE
That's what it means, to believe in Santa Claus.


Ho! Ho! Ho! Folks!!

Christmas has always been special since the past 4 years now.. after our little one was born. There is something magically innocent about Christmas, and I feel it much more than ever, all around me, now that we have moved to a Western continent. London has been all 'Christmassy' ever since Halloween... anywhere you go, you see only red, white and green - decorations, crafts and activities, food ideas, gifting, home decor ( I once even saw toilet paper with the snowman and reindeer print!). Everyone is gearing up for their biggest event in the entire year - the holiday season - to be together as family, to pray for warmth and good health, its the season to be happy together and spread joy!! And add to it the wonderful romance of winter:-)

Now I've been impatiently waiting for some snow here ever since winter set in. No luck as yet, and I'm told that it doesn't snow heavily in London and it could be just be a couple of times that it might happen. This has made me more anxious - what if I were to miss the snow if it ever happens in the middle of the night?? So checking the scene outside the window first thing in the morning and last thing as I wind up at night is something like a ritual for me now. I hope to be rewarded for my wait soon!

My little doll has 3 weeks of holidays for Christmas here and this set me off on a mission to look for creative activities to engage her all day. Turned out - it isn't a very easy thing to do. You see, arts and craft did not mean much to me as a child and though I like to see my child colour her heart out now, I realised that it is not something that would come easily to me. To think of things to do, to organise stuff that is required, the most difficult part being getting her to be involved in the entire activity without losing my patience and... and especially to handle the panic inside me when I see the mess all around.... yes ma'am, that is an important part of trying to promote creativity in a child - the mess!! It is going to happen!

So I finally hatched a plan to blend the two very exciting ideas - preparation for Christmas and craft! I decided to make by hand all the decorations that go on the tree! Hmmmm... mighty plan? You can say so! Yep - my mother would faint with shock (but be happy later on) to know that I shopped for yarn and needles among other stuff from felt to foam, acrylic to water colours and embellishments to fancy paper. And we were ready!

Since I did not want this post to look like a craft activity page, I've created a separate post to write in detail about the labour of our love :-) You can find the link at http://sabkuchrama.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/christmas-craft.html  :-)

I am attaching some pictures though of some decorations that we made. We managed to do this with a lot of inspiration from the blogs of super creative moms across the globe! There are so many talented creative beautiful people out there!! :-) Thank you all for getting someone like me involved in making colourful, pretty creations  - I hope to channelise this new found energy and enthusiasm in exploring and opening up a whole new bold, creative world for my pre-schooler!












This is a very cute Xmas tree that we made from tissue rolls. Simple to make, doesn't require too many things and very beautiful!

And we put up all together to make the prettiest Christmas tree!! It made us so so happy!!! :-)


It was completed with a reading every evening of the Nativity story and a reiteration of the wish-list from Santa :-) He even visited us in our dreams!! So, we decided to put up the Nativity set as well that we purchased last year.




And that made a very memorable Christmas! :-) Meeting friends, chilling out totally at home, watching movies, Christmas party at school, Christmas party at daddy's office, my first Boxing day shopping experience and of course- the true spirit of happiness is in giving, isn't it? The playschool gave us the opportunity to do that - all the children were requested to bring what they can to make other children happy - they took the children over to the community centre to make the donations -  all culminating into a magical, beautiful Christmas. Like someone so aptly quoted - "Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas!" 

But for our little one, the one who inspired us to learn something new and truly celebrate the spirit of Christmas - the belief that Santa would come visit her - was the most enchanting of all. She waited for weeks trusting that Santa would visit because she had been a good girl and Santa wouldn't disappoint, however busy he was. I lived that dream with her every single day, smiling happily to myself thinking of the joy that awaited her. She even got up at 4 am on Christmas day because of a dream that Santa had come - ohhhh, there was so much love and longing in that sweet little heart, it would overwhelm us at times. It is so beautiful to be a child at Christmas... I quote again - "There’s nothing sadder in this world than to awake Christmas morning and not be a child.” (Erma Bombeck (1927-1996), American author and humorist).  

And let me tell you what else is beautiful. It is beautiful to be a parent who gets to see the delighted face of his/her child, first thing on Christmas day, to want to believe that magic does exist in the world. To be reminded that we can bring so much joy to our little ones with simple acts of giving, sharing and the gift of togetherness and love.

I do not think Santa Claus comes down the chimney - he comes in through the hearts of beautiful innocent children. 

Wish you all a very Merry Christmas! :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment